What To Do When The Insurance Company Stops Responding

If it’s taking a long time for your insurance claim adjuster to respond to your insurance claim questions, chances are you may be on your way to having your property insurance claim denied. Texas law provides deadlines for when your insurance company must accept or deny your claim. If you haven’t received a written estimate or a denial letter you could be trapped in insurance claim purgatory where claims go to die.

There are a few options to consider:

1. Hire a property damage lawyer. A skilled property damage lawyer can take over the management of your property damage claim and get your insurance company to stop sitting on their proverbial hands. If the insurance adjuster fails to timely investigate and settle your claim, you can be entitled to money damages. It’s important to call a skilled property damage lawyer that can file suit if you are experiencing an undue delay in resolving or taking action on your claim.

2. Invoke the appraisal clause. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. The same is true for property owners that complain about mishandled property damage claims. In many policies, the insured and the carrier both have the right to invoke the appraisal clause when coverage has been confirmed but the amount of the settlement/cost of repair is in dispute. Invoking the appraisal clause gets your claim moving by bypassing the court system and letting an umpire resolve the estimate dispute.

3. Hire a Public Adjuster. Public adjusting is conducted by an independent insurance professional that a policyholder hires to help settle an insurance claim on his or her behalf. A licensed Public Adjuster can provide an estimate of your claimed property damage and compare it with the carrier’s estimate. Public Adjusters work solely on behalf of insureds. Public Adjusters charge a fee for their services that is usually 10% of your claim.

Despite the apparent convenience, public adjusters are limited in their ability to demand just compensation if you and your insurance company fail to reach a settlement. A skilled property damage lawyer can assist with this often-complex process from the initiation of the claim and can initiate a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary. The attorneys at the Cedrick D. Forrest Law firm are experienced, willing, and ready to advocate on your behalf to ensure that your property is repaired and that your rights are not jeopardized.

0 views0 comments